[asterisk-biz] Opinions requested: message blasting

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 25 07:03:36 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 01:32 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> I've seen a lot of posts over the last couple of years on both -users and -biz with people requesting help with "message blasting" setups - that is to say, asterisk dials a number, waits for an answer, then plays a pre-recorded message.
>
> Everyone I've ever spoken to about this here in the UK finds it thoroughly offensive. If they answer the phone, they expect to find a human being at the other end. Systems like this seem to draw far more ire from people than even multi-level IVR systems (which aren't exactly popular either).

well systems like that are good for some situations, did you ask them
the following:
A volunteer fire department in a rural area uses an automated system to
call firemen to an emergency, do you have a problem with that?

A school calls parents to let them know of a closure while school
officials deal with inbound calls from parents.  Do you have a problem
with that?

Or did you merely ask someone calls you unsolicited and plays a
recording (illegal to do in the US at least, probably UK too if its for
sales/marketing stuff) if that would be anoying?

How you ask the question can greatly influence the response.  Why polls
should declare the wording of the questions used and not just the

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200