[asterisk-biz] New faxing protocol. Good/Bad ?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jun 12 14:13:14 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:18 -0700, Miles Scruggs wrote:
> You don't actually need to have a protocol to implement a desired
> result.  T.38 was great in theory, but it still has the same
> limitations that are part of UDP etc.  You get enough noise or packet
> loss and the transmission will fail.  We got around the problem by
> using t.38 on the local lans, and on backbones, but converted to http
> in between those.  This drove the failures down near 0.

Well there is also T.37 which is smtp+mime and such.  But that, along
with your http solution removes one feature that many like, the fact
that endpoint capabilities can be passed.  For example if your
conversion process does not support color that capability is stripped.
It ends up being the best match of features between you and a given end
point, and removing that limitation is why many want T.38.

Personally I like T.37 just because I see it as more efficient, and it
takes away the realtime aspect a little bit, so you can prioritize
better.  Just gotta watch J2/JFax claims to have a patent on almost any
fax->everything (many patents), fax to email, which is in essence T.37
is one they claim, and are willing to pay to defend (where the problem
arises).

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200