[asterisk-biz] Open letter to digium, asterisk developers and consultants

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 11 05:05:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 00:26 -0400, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> The stuff on the Digium site is like an EULA... most of the provisions
> are not enforceable.
>
> Just as I can get a BMW engine, put it in a Yugo and sell it in the
> free market as a "Yugo with a BMW engine" you can do the same with
> Asterisk. Look into "fair use" if you create a product that works with
> Asterisk you can call it "compatible with Asterisk" just as a chinese
> factory making cheap headlamps can say "fitment for BMW."

Again as I said at one point there is a difference between the stated
policy and what is actually enforcable.  I just wanted the policy to not
specifically forbid GPL rights.  Yes there is the fair use stuff in the
policy, but there are other things, which largely seem to have been
resolved last night, at least the initial steps.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200