[asterisk-biz] Open letter to digium, asterisk developers and consultants

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:26:52 CDT 2008

The stuff on the Digium site is like an EULA... most of the provisions
are not enforceable.

Just as I can get a BMW engine, put it in a Yugo and sell it in the
free market as a "Yugo with a BMW engine" you can do the same with
Asterisk. Look into "fair use" if you create a product that works with
Asterisk you can call it "compatible with Asterisk" just as a chinese
factory making cheap headlamps can say "fitment for BMW."

Here's some basic reading:

http://www.chillingeffects.org/trademark/faq
http://www.publaw.com/fairusetrade.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use_(US_trademark_law)

Please remember that I am not a laywer and my post should not be
construed to be legal advise. I would suggest you consult with an
attorney before using the word "Asterisk" in connection with your
business.