[asterisk-biz] Any Cellular Phone Related Businesses in CanadaInterested in Call Transfers?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 31 11:54:42 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 12:32 -0400, Richard Siddall wrote:
> Steve Totaro wrote:
> > Anyways, I am up for bids.  The number is very memorable and to clear
> > things up, my number is 888, their number is 800, but someone messed
> > up and pucblished my number.
> >

> IANAL, but my understanding is that speculation on toll-free numbers is
> prohibited by the FCC.
>
> There seem to be a bunch of people on eBay trying to get around
> prohibition this by renting you toll-free numbers.
>
> Regards,

IANAL as well, however either there are a lot of stupid people who dial
a number not printed or the company in Canada and not under FCC
jurisdiction misprinted their number as one they dont own.  There isnt
speculation in this arena since the number appears to originally have
been for something else and due to the flood of wrong numbers it became
less than suitable.

Either way the origination of the calls would be canadian and the FCC
would be hard pressed to justify jurisdiction there, although they dont
seem to have problems justifying jurisdiction in other places they dont
really have it, the 10th amendment, separation of powers doctrine and
other things that make the FCC unconstitutional in organization and
operation.

http://www.icbtollfree.com/pressetc/dialingfordollars.html talks about
the 1997 ruling by the FCC which made trading in numbers illegal.
Basically they didnt want the tollfree numbers themselves to be a money
making commodity.  AFAIK this hasnt been recinded but many violate this
ruling in the US by selling different numbers at different prices, by
buying memorable numbers for resale (similar to domain squatting).

Unless there is another order that you were thinking of I dont think
what steve is trying to do (forward calls off it) is covered by this
one.  The article even goes into a "sharing" thing where 1 memorable
tollfree routes to multiple companies, highly similar to what steve is
doing.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200