[asterisk-biz] Wireless SIP phones?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Jul 18 06:03:09 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 06:27 -0400, Jason Garland wrote:
> I agree, DECT is definately the way to go for wireless since you can
> buy repeaters, handsets from various manufacturers, etc. It is like
> building your own cellular network. In the us DECT 6.0 phones are
> actually cheaper then the 5.8 and 2.4 ghz phones and the FCC has given
> DECT their own dedicated frequency so it dosent clash with wifi stuff,
> microwave ovens, etc.

and so it doesnt clash with DECT phones from nearly everywhere else :(
If you plan on using them in Europe for example US phones wont work -
all because of frequency the rest is identical ...  sigh

Saying its like your own cellular network is a good analogy, since the
protocol is more or less like GSM, and there are even data adapters for
DECT so you can do data over the same network if you really wanted (wifi
would be faster though).

> I would also recommend using a simple fxs gateway like a sipura/
> linksys. I don't think there is any real reason to need your DECT base
> to talk SIP itself, other then you may think it sounds cool.

well the original question was over wireless phones, his application
(warehouse or soemthing) required them.  If you dont have a good gateawy
all wireless phones end up being the same extension which sucks.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200