[asterisk-biz] Wireless SIP phones?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Jul 15 08:53:20 CDT 2008

Hi,

We had been using the Hitachi Wireless IP5000 SIP phones here for a
couple of years.  Apparently these phones are end-of-lifed now.  We
had evaluated Linksys, DLink, and UTStarComm wireless SIP phones in
the past, and were generally unsatisfied with them, due to problems
with roaming onto other access points or concerns about the ruggedness
of them.  (We are a manufacturing company.)

I've also tried contacting various vendors such as Polycom, and it
seems that a lot of them require separate gateway boxes -- the
handsets aren't speaking SIP directly, or require some other server to
make it work.  That strikes me as overkill.

Any suggestions?