[asterisk-biz] asterisk on symbian ?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Jul 7 16:47:20 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 15:54 -0700, Rehan Allah Wala wrote:
> I do not know if all of you know that Symbian the os of Nokia is now
> going to be open source and available from next year.
>

> I think this is by far one of the greatest moments in history of
> mobile phone, and how it will or may change the course of how mobile
> technology will look like in a few years.

probably not much since development info for it has been around for a
long time, there are linux phones, and other stuff.  Most mobiles just
dont have the cpu power to deal with this in a meaningful way.

With that said, performance under symbian is likely to be poor without
some tweaks.  Symbian stuff doesnt like signed ints as much as unsigned
(its really slow comparitively for signed ints).  As such some places in
the code could probably be changed since they dont use the sign bit.
There are some other things that could be tweaked.

There are other open source softswitch products that some have claimed
to port to windows CE/mobile.  The API is 95% the same, so aside from a
few minor things if it runs on windows it probably can be compiled to
run there.  Phones like http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1 could then run
it.

> I say this, as I have seen the phones from China in China and around
> the world, and they are by far amazing peace of hardware’s however
> they were lacking the properly useable os, and now this symbian free
> phenomenon will fix that problem also.

probably not for that long, after all a phone is a combination of
hardware and software.  Just because its open does not mean innovations
will occur, or will occur in any timely fashion, or that massive bugs
wont be introduced and no one who can fix them cares to.  In addition
for newer phones you have to support all the hardware, and figuring out
which gpio does what, how to talk to the different components, that can
be tedious at best.  Those that port linux to mobile phones and pdas are
just as familiar with that problem.

> So having said that, are we going to see a asterisk running on symbian
> very soon ?

soon?  I doubt it, eventually?  probably and then actually making it run
well will take much more time.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200