[asterisk-biz] Nationwide DID's

Miles Scruggs asterisk at wideideas.com
Thu Jul 3 22:11:29 CDT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:40 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Miles Scruggs wrote:
>>
>>> Not all but in some markets it is very lucrative.  For instance we
>>> are
>>> about to turn up a market where we actually pay $0.005/min to
>>> "customers" who drive substantial origination.  Great tactic is just
>>> keep the tab running whether they pay or not, soon enough it will
>>> reach a level where the court costs justified, and you get to
>>> collect.
>>> Just need patience and resolve and it all will come out in the wash.
>>
>> I'm sure some markets like that exist.
>>
>> But it really depends on who you're collecting from.  If it's from
>> the
>> RBOCs or their wireless divisions, they have far more money and court
>> muscle than you ever will.  If it's particularly stubborn, insolent,
>> impertinent local-yokel independents, you've got a whole different
>> problem.
>>

> the carriers frown on that, and the readyline case has been used to
> sue
> telcos and non-telcos alike who are doing similar types of things.  In
> short, once you get to a certain traffic level expect payments to
> stop,
> and expect very expensive legal fees to goto court.

Yup you are correct in every point, it is just at the end of the day
it works, you get your checks, and your legal fees covered.  I wasn't
proposing that it is easy gravy cash without challenges.  You are even
correct that they frown on spending money, but then who doesn't  ;)

> The carriers have a way of dragging things out well past a year, and
> yes
> it accumulates, but customers generally dont like it when you tell
> them
> that you cant pay them because the carriers arent paying you like the
> law says they should.  Note, the carriers still insist on billing
> their
> customers for those calls, and insist that their customers pay
> promptly
> for those calls, they just dont want to have to pay anything for them.

Correct again.  You either need to have understanding/unhappy
customers, or enough capital to float the battle out, and that can get
hard when you have a few million in receivables.

Cheers

Miles