[asterisk-biz] Nationwide DID's

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 3 21:59:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:40 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Miles Scruggs wrote:
>
> > Not all but in some markets it is very lucrative.  For instance we are
> > about to turn up a market where we actually pay $0.005/min to
> > "customers" who drive substantial origination.  Great tactic is just
> > keep the tab running whether they pay or not, soon enough it will
> > reach a level where the court costs justified, and you get to collect.
> > Just need patience and resolve and it all will come out in the wash.
>
> I'm sure some markets like that exist.
>
> But it really depends on who you're collecting from.  If it's from the
> RBOCs or their wireless divisions, they have far more money and court
> muscle than you ever will.  If it's particularly stubborn, insolent,
> impertinent local-yokel independents, you've got a whole different problem.

the carriers frown on that, and the readyline case has been used to sue
telcos and non-telcos alike who are doing similar types of things.  In
short, once you get to a certain traffic level expect payments to stop,
and expect very expensive legal fees to goto court.

The carriers have a way of dragging things out well past a year, and yes
it accumulates, but customers generally dont like it when you tell them
that you cant pay them because the carriers arent paying you like the
law says they should.  Note, the carriers still insist on billing their
customers for those calls, and insist that their customers pay promptly
for those calls, they just dont want to have to pay anything for them.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200