[asterisk-biz] Fonality Teams with Dell

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jan 23 17:39:35 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 17:26 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
> > Even if it werent clear they dont *have* to, infact if there is a
> > modification to the code base other than for interoperability you *cant*
> > make it clear that its based on asterisk.
>
> I know it's a subtle point, and I am not a lawyer nor do I wish to start
> a flamewar, but the trademark policy does not mean they cannot claim it
> to be 'based on Asterisk', they just cannot call it 'Asterisk' without
> acknowledging that it is in fact a different product from what Digium
> distributes and calls 'Asterisk'. In fact Digium would encourage them to
> proudly claim that it is based on Asterisk!

That was something I asked licensing at digium.com or whatever the email
addr is along with a ticket on the licensing mantis site and never got
anything clear on, specifically I wanted that bit of info about 2 years
ago.

I was left with
There must be no suggestion that your project is approved, sponsored, or
affiliated with Digium or its products.

from 'uses permitted under this policy' #4

I would think affiliated with its products would include that.

And
"In any event, once a project has left the open source project phase or
otherwise become a commercial project, this policy does not authorize
any use of the Trademarks in connection therewith."

>From the same section, which if its being sold it would seem to fall
under the 'commercial project' and since it was made clear in that
document that 'asterisk' is such a trademark, it would seem this
indicates that one is not so encouraged.

Thanks for clarifying.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200