[asterisk-biz] Fonality Teams with Dell

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Jan 23 16:29:09 CST 2008

> All points I agree with. HP and IBM could be excellent partners for Digium
> to go to market with using Switchvox, but they do have to move quickly.As a
> consumer, I still believe the Digium business model is too closed,
> (and the smell of others are making money and we, the creators are behind,
> is in the air, so desperation is no good)
>
> There will a battle for migration as well, and that doesn't fit their model,
> as they don't do other cards than theirs,
> and that's a problem as well,
> <stubbornish>no, we don't support that hardware</stubbornish>
> <customer>then I won't migrate then if I have to re-pay $10k</customer>
>
> (they might make some $ selling others as well)
>
> switchbox is great,
>
> but lacks amenability to the masses,
> which are the ultimate choosers,
> while you can download the free-switchbox,
> its capped limitations make it unfriendly for any techie to play,
> and copies the bad things from Fonality, such as registration,
>
> where's the cd download to install it at home (playing well with any
> hardware) and feel I am the king of telephony?

For the record, it is SwitchVox not Switchbox.  I have been using it
for more than a year and have to say it is great and a great addition
to Digium's holdings.  I was selling and recommending it long before
Digium bought them.

The other thing is that if Dell and Fonality are selling the
opensource version of asterisk then they will have to make that clear
in their marketing or am I wrong?  I know the source has to be
supplied on request or in some form but I am not sure if they have to
tell the buyer that it is Asterisk.

If they are buying a commercially licensed version of asterisk, then
it would certainly be a revenue stream for Digium.  I hope this is the
case because it would be win-win for everyone.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro