[asterisk-biz] Operator Console design

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Tue Jan 22 15:21:48 CST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Lee Jenkins wrote:

> Andres Paglayan wrote:

>>> I wrote one a little while back:
>>>
>>> http://www.datatrakpos.com/pos/datatalk/maestro.aspx
>>>
>>> Client later decided that it should be cross platform so I'm in the
>>> process of
>>> re-writing it.
>>
>> I know it's lame to comment on somebody else work when one has no
>> scoop,
>> so accept my appos beforehand,
>> ...but, now that you are at it,
>>
>> Did you consider using XUL?
>
> Not lame at all ;)
>
> The application in the link above is a 32 bit Windows desktop
> application so I'm
> not sure of the context for XUL.  Are you asking if I considered
> writing it as a
> firefox browser add-in?

it can be both, a plug in or an stand alone, cross platform
application if you bundle the engine with it,

>> A kick-butt architecture for this can be something like a XUL app on
>> the client,
>> and Rails at the backend,
>>

> Isn't Rails kinda slow for that kind of thing?  I'm no expert by
> any stretch,
> but I've seen some language compiler tests and Ruby on Rails was
> usually pretty
> far down there.

kinda slower than C, for sure,
a notch slower than java,
and not a drag at all for a modern system that runs the average 10 -
35 people office,

>> I like from the hud how they manage the "units" for each extension,
>> very easy to replicate in XUL, and very easy for rails to respond to
>> them
>>
>>> At any rate, it's a bit different that others I've seen because
>>> there are no
>>> predefined functionality.  You give it life by defining simple AMI
>>> command
>>> templates that it executes in response to UI events.
>>
>> UI send asynchronous to Rails
>> and refreshes each "extension unit"
>>

> Again, it sounds like you're a Ruby/Rails user.  The original
> requirement for
> this product was that it be a Windows desktop application.

born wrong,

> Now that has changed
> and its being re-written to run on Windows and Linux/GTK.

you can still run the server layer on rails, and have it responding
to your UI requests in any format you choose,
just to open up a whole set of integration to regular web apps

> The UI is also being
> modified to accommodate both mouse and touch screen driven
> operation to run
> either as a tray application on a desktop computer (windows/linux)
> or as a
> separate 10" touch screen based panel which can be placed on a desk
> for high
> volume receptionist areas like this particular client has.

as long as the clicks happen, a mouse or a touch will be fine,