[asterisk-biz] Operator Console design

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Tue Jan 22 11:45:07 CST 2008

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Lee Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Chris Bagnall wrote:
>>> Greetings list,
>>>
>>> Does anyone out there fancy some work doing some Flash Operator
>>> Panel console layouts for our clients? (or can recommend and
>>> configure an alternative to FOP)
>>>
>>> My graphic design/layout skills suck, and I need to do an operator
>>> console for a 50-seat install fairly urgently.
>>>
>>> If this one goes well, we have 2 100-seat installs coming up next
>>> month that'll also need consoles, so this could become a regular
>>> thing for someone interested and skilled in the area.
>>>
>>> Also looking for suggestions of other operator console packages to
>>> consider (either commercial or GPL - don't mind) from folks who've
>>> deployed operator consoles in the past.
>>>
>>> Could interested parties please contact me off-list with a rough
>>> price estimate for the work and your hourly rate for other bits
>>> and pieces. All SIP accounts already exist on the server and we
>>> have a full mapping of SIP accounts to names.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Chris
>> I wrote one a little while back:
>>
>> http://www.datatrakpos.com/pos/datatalk/maestro.aspx
>>
>> Client later decided that it should be cross platform so I'm in the
>> process of
>> re-writing it.
>
> I know it's lame to comment on somebody else work when one has no scoop,
> so accept my appos beforehand,
> ...but, now that you are at it,
>
> Did you consider using XUL?

Not lame at all ;)

The application in the link above is a 32 bit Windows desktop application so I'm
not sure of the context for XUL.  Are you asking if I considered writing it as a
firefox browser add-in?

> A kick-butt architecture for this can be something like a XUL app on
> the client,
> and Rails at the backend,

Isn't Rails kinda slow for that kind of thing?  I'm no expert by any stretch,
but I've seen some language compiler tests and Ruby on Rails was usually pretty
far down there.

> I like from the hud how they manage the "units" for each extension,
> very easy to replicate in XUL, and very easy for rails to respond to
> them
>
>> At any rate, it's a bit different that others I've seen because
>> there are no
>> predefined functionality.  You give it life by defining simple AMI
>> command
>> templates that it executes in response to UI events.
>
> UI send asynchronous to Rails
> and refreshes each "extension unit"

Again, it sounds like you're a Ruby/Rails user.  The original requirement for
this product was that it be a Windows desktop application.  Now that has changed
and its being re-written to run on Windows and Linux/GTK.  The UI is also being
modified to accommodate both mouse and touch screen driven operation to run
either as a tray application on a desktop computer (windows/linux) or as a
separate 10" touch screen based panel which can be placed on a desk for high
volume receptionist areas like this particular client has.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee

"Everything I needed to learn in life, I learned selling encyclopedias door to
door."