[asterisk-biz] Digium enforcing its trademarks

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Jan 17 17:39:47 CST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 6:26 PM, Alex Pilosov <alex at pilosoft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Brian West wrote:
>
> > You shouldn't have to contact Digium for such use cases as "Asterisk
> > Compatible" or "Works with Asterisk".
> in defense of digium, blame google for this.
>
> digium has to protect its trademark. google's only mechanism is to filter
> based on trademark and allow use permitted by trademark owner only. this
> isn't digium's fault.
>
> -alex

That is BS.  Obviously all the products that "Work with Windows" do not have
this issue or Adwords that use Windows.  The same is true for basically all
phone systems.

Digium initiated this.  I suspect it came from the Adtran/Digium guys that
just don't get Open Source.

To be approved you must agree to only sell Digium hardware or make some kind
of special case.  When I first started with Asterisk, one of the main points
was that it was vendor neutral.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro