[asterisk-biz] Rugged Wifi SIP phones

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Thu Jan 17 16:19:24 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:39 -0800, Nitzan Kon wrote:
> --- Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
>
> > Lol - famous last words..... take the time to install dect base
> > stations upfront Or Spend a boatload of time fixing problems with
> poor
> > wifi handset capabilities and cell station handover issues later.
>
> Kinda thinking along the same lines.. while wi-fi handsets WILL be the
> "next big thing" in VoIP in the future (once they go "mainstream"), at
> this point I bet it would cost more in time AND $ to deploy wi-fi
> handsets than it would take to deploy ATAs+DECT or something of the
> sort.
>
> The only exception is if they really do have square miles to cover...
>
>   -- Nitzan

	Mobile "VoWiFi" will probably not work well enough for prime time until
after it includes at least 802.11r
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11r ), which specifies handoffs
between base stations fast enough to handle moving vehicles, and 802.21
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.21 ), which specifies handoffs
between different network types (eg. non-802, ie WiFi/Cellular). 802.11r
is due to be formalized by 6/08, while 802.21 is circulating a revised
draft (but UMA actually works like it today).
--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein