[asterisk-biz] IAX Channels limit on Asterisk 1.4.17

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jan 16 17:47:00 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:33 +1100, Craig Lawrence wrote:
> I was simply asking whether any other service provider had found a
> workaround for the issue. To ask a tech question on a biz list is simply
> not kosha / Halal / Vegan or whatever.

Yeah, although this did have a tie into the business case for iax, or
lack there of, and why it just doesnt make business sense to me to do
it.

So as it stands now only one person said they did but they think it may
have been before some of the more recent changes, so its a 'maybe' with
current code as originally asked.

To bring this back to a biz sitaution, do you enable any type of DDoS
mitigation techniques with iax?  If so what products do you use?

Given that media and signalling are on the same port, and generally
sender port/ip will be the same for multiple calls, simple rate limiting
isnt really a good option.  This means that you can run the risk of
either having that port open to the world for flooding or have some
controls that degrade customer call quality.  Either is bad.

If there is a reasonable solution for that, even if commercial, I would
like to know since there isnt a good business case for that much
exposure in my mind.

> BTW - to use the term "Telco Grade Asterisk" is possibly premature.

never have :)

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200