[asterisk-biz] IAX Channels limit on Asterisk 1.4.17

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 01:31:55 CST 2008

After doing some googling I think I found your problem.. if you look in
chan_iax2.c you'll see there is a hard-coded limit of 256 channels:

} else if (iaxthreadcount > 256) {
ast_log(LOG_NOTICE, "limiting iaxthreadcount to 256\n");
iaxthreadcount = 256;

and:

} else if (iaxmaxthreadcount > 256) {
ast_log(LOG_NOTICE, "Limiting iaxmaxthreadcount to 256\n");
iaxmaxthreadcount = 256;

You could pretty easily get around this limit - just edit chan_iax2.c
and increase those limits, recompile, and set whatever limits you like
in iax.conf. The only question left to be answered is whether there
actually is a GOOD REASON the developers set that limit. But I think
this is probably a question for the -dev list.

Your other (and perhaps better from a reliability standpoint)
alternative is just to run multiple iterations of asterisk on the same
box. Should be pretty simple- just bind to either a different IP
address on the same box (IP aliasing), or different ports on the same
IP address.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

  -- Nitzan Kon, CEO
     Future Nine Corporation