[asterisk-biz] Asterisk for Inmate Communication Services?

Douglas Garstang dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 23:00:52 CST 2008

I worked for a payphone operator that had ported a large number of their pay phones in prisons over to an ATA/DSL. I think they eventually pulled them out because not a single ITSP could deliver dial around compensation reliably over to the destination POTS carrier. Without that, the company did not receive a portion of the revenue from the 800 numbers (calling cards) the prisoners would always use. Actually it wasn't just a problem in prisons, but in the few thousand other ATA's with DSL they had deployed. Oops!

Doug.