[asterisk-biz] IAX trunking in china

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Feb 8 13:26:31 CST 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 18:26, Nitzan Kon wrote:

> How does this work? you colo a server there, then have to negotiate
> agreements (and payments?) with carriers to carry your voice/data?

Yes - but being a very open and fluid market, this is normally quick
to arrange and inexpensive compared with organising capacity into a
private colo centre that is not so neutral.

> What about access to the public internet? (do you need to negotiate
> that too?)

Yes, but depending on the structure of your network, at such
facilities you can regularly attain settlement-free exchange of
internet traffic with networks you have significant data to.

I'm simplifying to an extent - it is a little bit more involved model
than dropping a server onto someone else's network and seeing what
happens next, but if you have plans for significant traffic, or
quality is a major concern, then the carrier hotel has much to offer.

> Just wondering if this may (or may not) be a better solution than
> "traditional" colo for a VoIP company. :)

Check out the customer lists of the big carrier hotels, there are
plenty of voip, traditional tdm, and internet service providers listed
- so it's working for most ;-)

Andy