[asterisk-biz] Futures of the telecoms business.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Feb 1 01:42:13 CST 2008

Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

> 	Lewis says telcos don't innovate and always accidentally caught up with
> outside innovation, that telcos act like they've got a "god given right"
> to make profits just because they've invested money in networks. That IP
> "telephony" is really beyond telephony into "the future of
> communications", that the IP convergence is where new money will come
> from as voice and SMS profits decline. That there's huge new
> opportunities that telcos aren't able to even think about tapping, or
> care about until others show how. That voice is about to change after
> 100 years, in combination with some other info, the huge oppportunity.

On the other side, there are a lot of CLECs, ITSPs and small independent
ISPs that seem to feel they have a "god given right" to make profits
despite _not_ having invested in networks, build-out, or any kind of
value-creating CAPEX other than resale infrastructure...

Don't get me wrong, I like this category of the industry, I'm
fundamentally on their side.  But it still bears pointing out.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems