[asterisk-biz] TFTP Boot Server

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Thu Aug 28 19:18:02 CDT 2008

Alex Balashov wrote:
> C. Savinovich wrote:
>

>> Dean, isn't it true that as consultant, you just have to know when it is
>> worth trying to convince your customer, and other times you are just better
>> off not wasting one more minute of your time, and just walking away wishing
>> him all the luck in the world with his "do-it-in-one-day" contractor.
>>
>> One thing is that the prospective customer is not sure about what decision
>> to take, and another totally different one is that he thinks that a 15 days
>> job can be done in 1 day. My take is that such customer is nowhere close to
>> convincing.
>>

> My sentiments precisely.

Dean - your points about attitude and marketing are well taken. Despite
that...

Reading between the lines of this prospective customer's "functional
spec", I sensed a belief on his part that the project was trivial, or
more specifically, wishful thinking to that effect. Maybe I misjudged
him, but you might have noticed that I attempted to draw this prospect
out by suggesting what unconsidered complexity might be lurking, and to
gauge his grasp of the problem as well as mine - similar to what you
suggested ought be done. I was ignored. Another consultant, perhaps more
of a gambler, took another tack by simply declaring a number and a
timeframe. He was practically ridiculed. What does that tell you?

Some prospects can't be reached, or if they can be, one does so at one's
own peril. And this forum serves as a sanity check for me, so I
appreciate the other comments.