[asterisk-biz] Conference Services

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Mon Aug 18 11:08:47 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:00:24PM -0400, Michael Trank wrote:

> I think the money is made by locating the free conference services in
> the networks of some
> of the small rural telephone companies and cooperatives that are able to
> charge the big carriers
> on the order of several cents per minute for terminating calls to
> numbers in their space.
> These small carriers have termination fees that have been grandfathered
> in from old FCC rules.

In the UK there are several "free" conferencing services. But then in
the EU there are no such things as "free" calls (well there are, but
they're charged somewhere).

Conference systems run on numbers will generate termination for someone
and telcos will generally pay for traffic to terminate on their
networks.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com