[asterisk-biz] What do you mean by "unlimited", was: Unlimited DID

Richard Siddall cobalt at elirion.net
Thu Aug 14 14:27:34 CDT 2008

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> The fact that you have to say "its all about definitions" shows that you
> understand the issue I am talking about, redefining words so that they
> can be used in ways their normal definitions do not allow.  Unlimited
> means just that, without limits.  Any limit imposed makes it limited,
> quite the opposite of unlimited.  Rather than define "unlimited
> residential" as a term of art, it should just be "residential" and if
> there are limits explain them (most will just say some term like
> "whatever we feel like" for minute caps, and will actively refuse to
> tell you how many minutes are too many making the problem worse).

This problem is not limited to VoIP, of course.  It was (and is)
standard practice among dial-up ISPs.  Yahoo! is now offering "unlimited
web hosting" with limits.  If it isn't already a problem among broadband
providers, it will be as the oversubscription levels they need to
maintain their pricing becomes unmaintainable as more people watch more
video over the internet.  Broadband providers are certainly making
noises about applying usage caps.

The real question is how you fight it.  I suspect most customers would
take a plan claiming to be unlimited against one that had generous
limits they would never reach in practice.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall