[asterisk-biz] Unlimited DID

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Aug 14 14:05:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 14:52 -0400, Joe Antkowiak wrote:
> saying things like "unlimited residential" and "unlimited business" with a
> detailed user agreement makes it just about as legal and honest as anyone else
> out there.
>
> leaving a channel up 24/7 would be more like "unlimited carrier"
>
> it's all about definitions

I agree that it makes it about as honest as anyone else out there, and
that is my point.  When you say unlimited it should be "without limits".
Some providers were as low as 5000 minutes (AT&T), although the average
seems now to float somewhere 15k-25k/month.  5000 minutes is not even
that much for the average teenager, let alone if you have two of them in
the house.  Sure its 2.75 hours a day, but I also recall when I was a
teenager and I spent 8+ hours/day on the phone.

20k is about 11 hours a day, if you have 2 teenagers, and each has a
channel open at the same time that halves that.  But that is still
"reasonable" but not unlimited, which is my point.

business/residential is more about how its used, rather than how much,
or at least it should be.

The fact that you have to say "its all about definitions" shows that you
understand the issue I am talking about, redefining words so that they
can be used in ways their normal definitions do not allow.  Unlimited
means just that, without limits.  Any limit imposed makes it limited,
quite the opposite of unlimited.  Rather than define "unlimited
residential" as a term of art, it should just be "residential" and if
there are limits explain them (most will just say some term like
"whatever we feel like" for minute caps, and will actively refuse to
tell you how many minutes are too many making the problem worse).

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200