[asterisk-biz] FRAUD: BE AWARE

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Apr 20 17:04:48 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 23:40 +0300, Justin Case wrote:

> Trixter,
> They made several payments  from multiple accounts which seems that
> they fished them. I still don't know how people fall for those scam
> emails. Then again they scammed me :( . I guess we goto be tighter on
> sign ups. Does any one know if there are any merchant companies out
> there that have some sort of insurance for the merchant should
> something like this happen in the future ?

you didnt hear how earthlink was running one of the largest phishing
sites out there just to make a quick buck?  This was quite the news
story the last little while.

Now they werent intentionally running a phishing site, they just
redirected every bad url to a server in the UK which had a problem in
its javascript (it just displays ads but looks like the real site) and
lets you embed anything you want.  So if you tell someone to goto
http://money.paypal.com they will make it look like you really are at
paypal and not some squirley ad based company in the UK.

Earthlink isnt the only one, basically they are doing what verisign did
a few years ago.

The story was slashdotted today but broke a couple days ago.  So its
easy to see how people can fall for it, the ISPs trying to make a little
extra money make it so much more convincin

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&ncl=1152280840

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200