[asterisk-biz] FRAUD: BE AWARE

Justin Case nogoodnameswereavailable at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 15:40:51 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Trixter aka Bret McDanel <
trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 21:47 +0300, Justin Case wrote:
> > Hi List,
> > I made the mistake of having auto payments via PayPal. Just had some
> > one put in payments and have them all denied. So far this person send
> > in funds from:
>

> Yeah, you have to be careful with paypal because there are several ways
> to make a payment that appears to clear on the merchant side (ie it
> looks like any other normal payment) but after a few days it will bounce
> back.
>
> I have seen a series of payments (about 20 or so) that all cleared, and
> got refunded a month later because paypal said that money was never
> cleared.  Some of these payments were hundreds of dollars some were
> about $45, but all eventually got returned.
>
> It really isnt hard to do this, and paypal has little incentive to
> change this since they dont lose money.  It all has to do with one way
> of funding your account (gee there are only 3 ways really).  There are
> probably other ways of it looking like money is there when it really
> isnt.  At least with an e-check paypal notifies the merchant at the
> payment time that the money is pending (so hint this is not what I am
> talking about).
>
> I do not know if disputing with a credit card would prove useful,
> although most likely it would and would be more obvious to more people
> so its probably the larger way that people would do this type of stuff.
>
> In the end paypal makes the merchant pay for using their services and
> its hard to hold the customer accountable.  It generally becomes a civil
> suit for failure to pay in a situation like that (getting a criminal
> investigation over stuff like that is generally hard at least in the US)
> which means that the merchant again would have to bear the costs of
> locating and serving the defendant, and they would not be able to do
> anything cross border, blah blah blah.  Cant imagine why so many
> criminals use paypal.
>
> Trixter,
They made several payments  from multiple accounts which seems that they
fished them. I still don't know how people fall for those scam emails. Then
again they scammed me :( . I guess we goto be tighter on sign ups. Does any
one know if there are any merchant companies out there that have some sort
of insurance for the merchant should something like this happen in the
future ?

/J