[asterisk-biz] "on-net" dialplans

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Apr 6 16:35:03 CDT 2008

On 6 Apr 2008, at 15:55, Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> Of course peering with those companies is a whole different deal,
> they arent required to peer, and generally they dont want every
> small wanna-be provider peering for super cheap next to free
> calling, but if you are reasonably sized it shouldnt be that
> difficult and you can then have a much lower termination cost.

Peering doesn't have to mean settlement free, and in fact it rarely
does in the telecoms world.

Increasing the "meshability" of your telecoms edge might have little
to no effect on your average termination cost, because you might pay a
peer what you pay your regional or a-z provider, but it stands a good
chance of improving your sounds quality or call setup time
performance, so any financial incentive to peer comes from increased
revenues from satisfied customers and a higher ACD.

Lastly, replacing A-Z style termination that relies on incumbent/
legacy legs, with lots of short, IP-only paths between end-sites is
the only way we're going to get widespread adoption of new
technologies like wideband audio codecs.

I have various roles in organisations that mean I spent a lot of time
thinking about both IP and VoIP interconnection, and would really like
to talk with other people who do as well.  Perhaps this is the scope
for another discussion list !

Best wishes
Andy Davidson
www.devonshire.it