[asterisk-biz] Solving DTMF issue

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Apr 3 22:24:11 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 22:15 -0400, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6667 has lots of discussion regarding the
> issues w/ the Asterisk 1.2 DTMF stack. All of the issues that I raised in
> that bug report have been fixed in 1.4. Specifically, I was having issues w/
> Sonus, Cisco and Altigen at the time.
>
> While 1.4 VLDTMF may not be perfect, it is a huge step in the right
> direction. I can now confidently plug Asterisk 1.4 into just about anything
> that speaks RFC-2833 and expect it to work. At least, I've not found
> anything that breaks like it did w/ 1.2.

That may be, however I have found stuff that it did not work with
properly, and that is what I was commenting on.  I do not know if there
was a bug report filed specifically for the items I found, I told oej
only because I knew he worked on sip, and that he would either have
worked on or knew who did work on the rtp stack.  He is the one that
suggested that 10058 may address that since on the surface at least it
did.

As stated by Jason earlier, a packet trace would fairly quickly identify
what was wrong with the original posters comments, as well as the stuff
I found, since that is exactly how I found it.  It may even be that the
original poster was talking about other issues, there is less than
enough info to say if anything I have talked about is the same as what
other people talked about, for all I know there are multiple issues.

What I do know is that a specific cisco device worked with a specific
gateway (it wasnt mine the packet captures were provided by someone
else, and the most that could be derived is they use a proxy that is
known to not modify rtp, so useragent stuff was not available) yet
asterisk did not work with that same gateway, and the differences all
revolved around malformed rfc2833 packets.  I dont even know which cisco
device it was that worked (depending on revision and other things it may
be different output ...)  I do know it wouldnt be hard to make the list
for anyone who is reasonably competent at looking at packet traces, all
of the anomolies that I discovered had to do with basically "numbers"
not being incremented properly (such as the timestamp) and this was
either 1.4.15 or 1.4.17 at that time.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
   The GPL is a software license not a religion