[asterisk-biz] OT: Licensing preferences

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Apr 3 19:22:58 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 01:50:04AM +0200, Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>  > On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 19:38 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>  > > where you continued to decline to answer in favor of handwaving.
>  > >
>  > Ok, it was about my opinion, why do you feel that you can demand an
>  > explanation of my feelings on an off topic subject?
>
>  Who said anything about demanding?
>
>  I inquired politely; you got in my face.  I don't think that precludes
>  my reacting the way I did.
>

>  > > My observation of the last 30 years of Unix development clearly differs
>  > > from yours, and you clearly don't want to discuss it, so you go right
>  > > along, and I won't ask anymore.
>  >
>  > You really should sit back for a while you seemed to have gotten quite
>  > upset over the fact that I did not think to justify my feelings to you.
>  >
>  > You have ranted about some 30 years in unix development which has
>  > nothing to do with my feelings on a software license, nor does it have
>  > anything to do with whether or not I should justify them to you.  I also
>  > dont know why a difference in backgrounds (30 years ago I was using
>  > primes for example) matters about whether or not to discuss why I feel
>  > the way I do about the GPL.  This isnt even the proper venue for that
>  > conversation anyway.
>  >
>  > Why you are this upset is a real mystery to me, the conversation was
>  > quite calm prior to this, and it was on something that really was just a
>  > personal opinion on a specific software license.
>  >
>  > Are you this upset because I dont like the GPL?  That would seem odd,
>  > its not like I was rejecting you personally, denouncing your religion or
>  > anything that way, just saying that I did not like that particular
>  > license.
>
>  I asked a polite question, you basically told me to &^%@#$ off.  I
>  shouldn't react poorly to that?
>
>  "I don't really want to get into it" is probably where you should have
>  started, and then stopped.
>

>  Cheers,
>  -- jra
>  --
>  Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
>  Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
>  Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
>  St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274
>
>              Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
>              Those who count the vote decide everything.
>                -- (Joseph Stalin)

Look you two, you are both very valuable members of this community.
Just quit this conversation.  It is an infinite loop and has
absolutely nothing to do with Asterisk (Just licensing) and nothing to
do with biz except licensing.

Agree to disagree.  Everyone has their own opinion has no obligation
to explain why if they don't care to.

Email is a tough way to communicate since over 75% of communication is
non-verbal.

Let it go.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro