[asterisk-biz] consultant questions : glad to pay for email reply

Sarfaraz Chougule sarfaraz.chougule at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:00:26 CDT 2007

Hello Miles,

Please see few options for your questions below.

- Each work-at-home person should only need a headset + softphone
software on their PC, right?   (Is the software audio quality as good
as separate hardware SIP phones now, if run on a modern-speed PC?
Recommendation for best?)
*My Option - Any standard configuration PC should work. Good and free
Softphones are available to download, they provide very good quality.)*
- To have land-line (incoming) phone numbers in a country, should we
have an Asterisk server in that country?  A rack-mount server in a
telco/colo center, that receives the calls in on a Digium card then
SIP-routes them out to the work-at-home SIP phones?   (I'm assuming it
shouldn't be all-one-central server, since calls from Australia to
Australia would actually be crossing the ocean twice, reducing call
quality.)
*My Option - In this case I would setup my Asterisk server in office to make
outbound call (here you might need to purchase intenational calling minutes
from any VoIP provider) to terminate calls to country's landline number (say
your agent's home phone number)*
- Can Asterisk report-back IAX-softphone availability, without needing
to pass a call?   So our website can say how many agents are available
(in which countries) to take their call now?
*My Option - Asterisk portal (if you have installed) can display phones
registered (online).
*- Is there a better way you'd recommend setting up phones for the
"SITUATION" described, above?   Since there is no legacy phone number
or contract, it could be 100% VoIP.
*My Option - the options above are pretty much easy to setup.*

On 9/26/07, Miles Keaton <mileskeaton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got some Asterisk-consultant questions for any experts here.
>
> I was going to try to find a consultant first then ask them these
> questions, but decided to just post it to the list, and I'll be glad
> to PayPal $50 each to the first few people who give through replies to
> the 4 questions below.
>

> SITUATION:
>
> - We already have a 100% Asterisk setup in our USA office, for the
> past year, working well.
>
> - We're going to be setting up international offices, with people
> working from home in their own country.
>
> - They need to be available by a regular incoming phone number in
> their country, but the number has to be ours.   (So, in case the
> person flakes, we can route calls to a different person.)
>
> - Call-roundabout (seeking?) setup, where one central number can ring
> the next-available-agent (many agents, each working from home).
>
> - Work-at-home agents should be able to make outgoing international
> calls through our system.
>
> - All calls (in and out) should be recorded and logged.
>

> QUESTIONS:
>
> - Each work-at-home person should only need a headset + softphone
> software on their PC, right?   (Is the software audio quality as good
> as separate hardware SIP phones now, if run on a modern-speed PC?
> Recommendation for best?)
>
> - To have land-line (incoming) phone numbers in a country, should we
> have an Asterisk server in that country?  A rack-mount server in a
> telco/colo center, that receives the calls in on a Digium card then
> SIP-routes them out to the work-at-home SIP phones?   (I'm assuming it
> shouldn't be all-one-central server, since calls from Australia to
> Australia would actually be crossing the ocean twice, reducing call
> quality.)
>
> - Can Asterisk report-back IAX-softphone availability, without needing
> to pass a call?   So our website can say how many agents are available
> (in which countries) to take their call now?
>
> - Is there a better way you'd recommend setting up phones for the
> "SITUATION" described, above?   Since there is no legacy phone number
> or contract, it could be 100% VoIP.
>

> Thanks!

  With Best Regards,
   Sarfaraz Chougule