[asterisk-biz] Routing large call volumes (400 concurrent calls+)

Chris Bagnall chris at minotaur.it
Wed Sep 19 21:22:10 CDT 2007

Greetings list,

I've recently been approached by a traditional PSTN LCR provider who are trying to break into the VoIP market and set themselves up. They have good contacts with some of the large carriers here in the UK who are happy to install interconnects into the datacentre in which they have rackspace.

They're in a tricky position: they won't be generating anywhere near enough volume to justify one of the big Cisco gateways (or similar), but they will have sufficient volume to make PRI cards in asterisk servers rather inefficient.

Initially the main carrier offered to install 16 E1s as a starting point for them, but:
a) as their call volume increases, having lots of E1 ports and cables seems incredibly inefficient compared to an E3 or TDMoE.
b) I can't help but feel asterisk might not be the most appropriate solution for something of this scale

I'll be the first to admit I have no experience of carrier-level switching hardware and setups. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommended reading for setups such as this?

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it