[asterisk-biz] Caller ID

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Sep 14 09:29:23 CDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Joe Acquisto <joea at j4computers.com> wrote:
> Need a definitive answer if this can be done, please.  Have a customer with an T1 from Verizon.

I dont think that anyone aside from verizon can give you one.

> Some have said the T1 provider "should" allows this.

Yes, verizon needs to accept the data from you, and the terminating
carrier needs to use caller id as opposed to ANI for presentation.  If
you know that CLID is sent but it still shows you, a translation may
occur from ANI->CLID which happens on some networks for whatever
reason.  If verizon doesnt allow you to send it no matter what you do
it wont be relayed.

> Does this run afoul of the anti spoofing laws?

I am unaware of any laws that prevent sending arbitrary caller id in
the US except when doing a telemarketing call.  If you are sending it
to people who specifically want that to happen that way there shouldnt
be a law against it.  That being said, lawmakers often pass laws that
shouldnt be passed...

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200