[asterisk-biz] New IP PBX lifting the bar

Craig Lawrence craig at mytel.net.au
Fri Oct 26 05:02:43 CDT 2007

<It's interesting you mention "PBX, Firewall, Router rolled into 1" as
<I've been approached recently by some people who have various thoughts
<about should or shouldn't asterisk be the first appliance in line to
the
<internet?

In more than 50% of cases we install a WAN (Layer 2) and an ADSL
internet connection into the PBX.  We're therefore doing most Routing,
QOS and Firewall.  We'd rather not, but there's no option in many
installs.

<Should or shouldn't asterisk manage firewall/qos/dhcp/routing etc? or
<when selling it into an existing site is it better to allow existing
<devices to manage this functionality?

I'd rather the same system didn't, a separate network is better but it's
just not reality in most cases.

If there was a fanless appliance with sufficient processor power we'd
convert to all these services to a single appliance. However, I doubt
the end result would be any cheaper than a $1000 Sun rack server or $500
Dell tower.

Craig Lawrence

It's interesting you mention "PBX, Firewall, Router rolled into 1" as
I've been approached recently by some people who have various thoughts
about should or shouldn't asterisk be the first appliance in line to the
internet?

Does anyone else have strong feelings on this issue?

Should or shouldn't asterisk manage firewall/qos/dhcp/routing etc? or
when selling it into an existing site is it better to allow existing
devices to manage this functionality?

What are peoples thoughts as a user and a reseller/system integrator?

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net