[asterisk-biz] New IP PBX lifting the bar

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Oct 26 03:05:43 CDT 2007

On 26 Oct 2007, at 00:03, Dean Collins wrote:

> It's interesting you mention "PBX, Firewall, Router rolled into 1"
> as I've been approached recently by some people who have various
> thoughts about should or shouldn't asterisk be the first appliance
> in line to the internet?

Asterisk and its environment should be secure enough to mean that it
can sit on a world-facing device of any kind.  This is an important
aim.  If we achieve it, it reduces the list of things you are worried
about.

> Should or shouldn't asterisk manage firewall/qos/dhcp/routing etc?
> or when selling it into an existing site is it better to allow
> existing devices to manage this functionality?

Asterisk wouldn't be managing firewall/qos/dhcp, but some different
software on the same equipment that asterisk shares might be.  The
question is about what's more important - saving your IT budget but
putting all of your eggs into one basket, or designing for scale and
spreading the risk that a hardware failure will eat fewer of your IT
services.

The answer is different for every organisation, and there is no right
answer.

Best wishes,
Andy Davidson

--
:: http://www.localphone.com/  -  Call Global, Pay Local
:: /* opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own */