[asterisk-biz] New IP PBX lifting the bar

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Oct 25 19:45:57 CDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Chris Bagnall <lists at minotaur.cc> wrote:

> > Should or shouldn't asterisk manage firewall/qos/dhcp/routing etc? or
> > when selling it into an existing site is it better to allow existing
> > devices to manage this functionality?
>
> There's room (and demand) in the market for both. Certainly from our
> experience I'd say it's roughly a 50/50 split.
>
> About half the installs we do invariably end up with us getting involved
> with the client's data network, so using existing routers, switches, etc.
> often works fine. In many cases the client's using cheap consumer routers
> and they're delighted that we replace them with decent kit. In this
> scenario, being able to offer integrated units would be an advantage for
> clients with space considerations.

A selling point, which admittedly is minor would be the $10-20 or so per
month in electrical savings.  Integrated devices when all of them are on all
the time can result in a cost savings, a marketing fact that is often
overlooked.  Granted this can take years to pay back the cost of the device,
but its something that I havent seen marketed.  I dont know what rates are
in other places, in Ireland and Holland residential electric is about 2-3x
what it was in the US which could amount to 15-20 euro/month.

Its also something that really only applies to smaller installations, since
large ones would have performance impacts somewhere, and generally require
more than one box.  Of course the larger ones arent likely to care about
what would amount to pennies in the grand scheme of things.

> 3) here in the UK where DSL is delivered over PPPoA, we still need to have
> separate ADSL modems doing PPPoA authentication and delivering the pfSense
> router an Ethernet presentation, so despite best efforts, it's still not a
> "one-box" solution

why?  There are some devices that do pppoa with dsl lines in linux.  Granted
it may not end up being the solution you want, and there is the added cost
of a pppoa device for the linux box, but none the less it is possible.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200