[asterisk-biz] (FYI) 1-day reminder for 3ComR VCX IP: The future of communications ? taking businesses where they need to go.

Craig Lawrence craig at mytel.net.au
Fri Oct 5 19:41:59 CDT 2007

> I agree it is a stupid move.  But what if you can read between the
lines, maybe it is a brilliant move.

Stupid move for 3Com, unless there's a much greater alignment between
Digium and 3Com about to bubble to the surface.

I understand there's a lot a free dialog occurring between 3Com VC guys
and Digium's VC guys. Perhaps something is cooking.  Certainly it would
make a lot of sense to have a group of highly qualified installers (the
3Com crew) and a long existing sales channel offer an Asterisk product.

What has Asterisk|Digium been held back by in the sales area:

a) the lack of an off the shelf appliance;
b) the lack of a standard Cisco Call Manager style interface;
c) deficiencies in the sales channel and standardized installer training
/ marketing materials (these deficiencies were not and are not being
fixed by dCap);
d) development of a stable, versatile and feature rich product; or
e) all of the above.

Seeing like a), b) and d) are being or have been addressed, item c)
could be the only one remaining.

3Com is certainly in very different to other telephony vendors - it
seems to be in transition into something very different to the standard
vendor model - remember this press release from IBM / 3Com
http://www.3com.com/corpinfo/en_US/pressbox/press_release.jsp?INFO_ID=23
8185

Cheers

Craig Lawrence