[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Performance Results

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Fri Nov 16 18:40:12 CST 2007

> Alistair,
>
> Very Interesting!!!
>
> You have no environment to test above 5000 calls but claim that your
> customers are passing 100,000 of thousands in real time...?

Senad,
	Sounds like flame bait. I've had the chance to talk w/ customers
that are using Integrics solutions, and indeed several of them are passing
large amounts of traffic. But what THEY are doing in the field has little
bearing on how much equipment Alistair may have in his Lab to test with.
Passing 5,000+ concurrent calls, given the limits of Asterisk scalability
that I've encountered would require about 25 machines JUST handling RTP and
Transcoding duties assuming that you have a limit of about 200 concurrent
calls (400 legs) / box.

And before people start jumping on me, I have experience with both Bicom
Systems products as well as Integrics. Both have run in our test lab for
extended periods of time. Both are great products and have their benefits,
and I've recommended them both to clients.

So, let's not take a good discussion on performance metrics (which Asterisk
really does need!) and turn it into some off topic flame-war. In the end,
the more information that we all have and share about Asterisk performance,
the better we can see where it shines or where it fails.