[asterisk-biz] Bounties.

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Thu Nov 1 13:09:45 CDT 2007

I don't see why work-for-pay (bounties) are incompatible with
open-source. As Mr. Rubenstein points out, bounties are cumulative, and
talent is busy. At least the potential for large sums to be offered is
there, and they aren't necessarily "half-assed", whatever that really
means. No offer to pay any amount need be seen as insulting. One might
just as well regard such derision as insulting, but the emotion serves
no constructive purpose.

Perhaps if a more formalized or structured process for managing bounties
was in place, cumulative bounties would grow larger and attract more
developers.

Suppose you could contribute to a bounty by placing the cash in escrow,
assign a deadline, and agree to an arbiter for judging completion. Would
such a system be workable? Would it encourage more development of
features desired by the broad community?