[asterisk-biz] Premium number providers?

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Fri May 25 06:21:13 MST 2007

Hi Bret - OT in that it's not asterisk specific though the application
is being delivered on an Asterisk server.

its generally on the service provider to goto collections, which can
suck all the remaining profit out.  Carriers take a huge percentage of
the per minute rate.  There are laws regarding the advertising of the
number and the first minute of the call, both FCC and FTC.  Most mobile
phones cant call premium numbers as well.

(if that makes a difference to the termination arbitrage charges) as the
'locations' will be in public spaces.

arbitrage.  Arbitrage is the act of buying and selling at the same time
on the same item for a profit.  Its more common in the stock market
community, where the same thing (future, stock, etc) is sold on 2
different markets at the same time and there is a price difference.
Since phone minutes are effectively a commodity it applies there too,
but only if the same person buys and sells the same minute at the same
time (ie they call themselves).  Arbitrage however has a negative
connotation now due to the lawsuits, even though in 2004 the FCC ruled
that its not illegal.  Its generally frowned upon in the industry since
it angers people and generally causes problems.

True it's not Arbitrage in the true sense of the word BUT when you
consider most mobile plans are flat rate (or near enough to it at
1000-2000 minutes a month) so not costing the user anything extra a
month but we as the application provider can still get paid - this is a
good thing.

My issue is that I'd like each 5 minute interaction to top out at a
fixed amount so people participating in the interactions on their mobile
don't get 'sticker' shock when they see the bill (which is why I was
hoping to fund it on arbitrage long distance calls alone with no premium
rate services).

states mandate equal access in that regard some dont comment on it, you
could.  Premium SMS would be a way to fund it on a mobile since in
america most cant call premium numbers.  You could have a flat rate
associated with it if you wanted, either premium number or premium SMS.
The SMS can be billed when you send or the call can be per call not per
minute.

revenue generated for either premium numbers or SMS.

I'm very familiar with premium SMS as I used to represent
www.TractionPlatform.com <http://www.tractionplatform.com/>  here in the
USA but SMS is not suitable as we need real time DTMF interaction for a
1 to 5 minute period.

Are there any 900 service providers you would recommend? The fact they
are not transferable worries me as this would mean we need to choose
carefully upfront as not to get screwed.

Any ideas on revenue splits from the various rate plans they may offer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Dean