[asterisk-biz] Premium number providers?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri May 25 06:03:31 MST 2007

On 5/25/07, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:

>  Sorry for a slightly OT question but I'm a total newbie on the USA
> carrier services.

this is a biz list, asking about  services businesses sell is hardly off
topic :)

What are the options for premium rate services in the USA – how much do the
> numbers cost each month? Are there better providers/vendors than others?

 900 numbers arent portable.  If a customer disputes the charges, its
generally on the service provider to goto collections, which can suck all
the remaining profit out.  Carriers take a huge percentage of the per minute
rate.  There are laws regarding the advertising of the number and the first
minute of the call, both FCC and FTC.  Most mobile phones cant call premium
numbers as well.

I would estimate 95% of all calls will be delivered via mobiles (if that
> makes a difference to the termination arbitrage charges) as the 'locations'
> will be in public spaces.

if they are real people calling for a real service its not arbitrage.
Arbitrage is the act of buying and selling at the same time on the same item
for a profit.  Its more common in the stock market community, where the same
thing (future, stock, etc) is sold on 2 different markets at the same time
and there is a price difference.  Since phone minutes are effectively a
commodity it applies there too, but only if the same person buys and sells
the same minute at the same time (ie they call themselves).  Arbitrage
however has a negative connotation now due to the lawsuits, even though in
2004 the FCC ruled that its not illegal.  Its generally frowned upon in the
industry since it angers people and generally causes problems.

Does anyone have some preferred vendors they would recommend? My issue is
> that I'd like each 5 minute interaction to top out at a fixed amount so
> people participating in the interactions on their mobile don't get 'sticker'
> shock when they see the bill (which is why I was hoping to fund it on
> arbitrage long distance calls alone with no premium rate services).

assuming they have a mobile that can call premium numbers, some states
mandate equal access in that regard some dont comment on it, you could.
Premium SMS would be a way to fund it on a mobile since in america most cant
call premium numbers.  You could have a flat rate associated with it if you
wanted, either premium number or premium SMS.  The SMS can be billed when
you send or the call can be per call not per minute.

Expect the carriers to take more than their fair share of the revenue
generated for either premium numbers or SMS.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200