[asterisk-biz] Vonage 877

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue May 22 10:06:50 MST 2007

On 5/22/07, Matt Dunkin <mdunkin at innflux.com> wrote:

>  I thought even 800 numbers had to be fully portable... Is that not the
> case?

they might be, however its the customer of the carrier, not the
customer of the customer of the carrier.  How is the carrier to know
that someone isnt trying to steal a number?  I would love to get
1-800-flowers for example, but the customer of the carrier would
disagree with me on that one.

When you start getting into tertiary customers the law is less than
clear, and I think it would create more headaches to mandate porting
of tertiary customers, since only vonage knows who the real customer
was, and what the terms are, for example if you paid your bill.  So if
vonage doesnt allow porting of their number, on their customers
behalf, the carrier is in no position to force it to happen.

The carrier for example wouldnt know that I was never a vonage
tollfree customer trying to steal someone elses tollfree.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!