[asterisk-biz] 44-70x Numbers: Block? Evil?

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Thu May 3 09:26:17 MST 2007

> Do most ITSPs block +44 70x?  Are there other numbers like this that should
> be blocked?  Is it only ITSPs that block it, where traditional telephony
> companies are simply more than happy to connect your call?  Are ITSPs here
> to provide dial-tone and connectivity regardless of how good or bad the
> call might be?

For the UK, I'd suggest blocking anything starting +44 70 ("personal numbering services" - anything from 5p to 50p / min), and definitely anything starting +44 9 ("premium rate services").

You might also want to block +44 871 and 870 (the latter might be more contentious - it's used by a lot of call centres).

Worth mentioning that unlike some countries, there are maximum charges per minute - to the best of my knowledge you simply can't create a number with a charge of £500/min or something silly like that. If you want a rough idea of call termination charges for different dialling codes, the BT price list (www.bt.com) is a good starting point.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it/chris.html