[asterisk-biz] Recent REMOTE CRASH BUG

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Mar 3 17:13:51 MST 2007

On 3/3/07, shadowym <shadowym at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Good points all around and healthy discussion IMHO.
>
> I have found in my 2 years of working with Asterisk and open source in
> general is you have to approach it a bit differently than commercial
> closed
> source stuff.  You gotta put in the time to throughly test a specific
> version to make sure it does what you need it to do.

So what is different about a commercial version when compared to say an open
source version?  What if they are the same program and the 'open source'
part is just a license difference?

Remember there is a commercial version of asterisk out there, why Digium
wants the disclaimers on file so they can sell it royalty free, and get
others to pay them royalties when building components that take advantage of
the code that the community contributed.

Someone has to pay something if they are going to continue to get over
$13M/year using the community for QA, development, documentation,
advertising, and all.  At least they did say thank you to some of the
developers and users that have provided these services free of charge.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!