[asterisk-biz] FCC: Telcos Must Interconnect VoIP

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Mar 3 10:56:34 MST 2007

On 3/2/07, Matthew Rubenstein <email at mattruby.com> wrote:

>         The FCC ruled that TimeWarner's VoIP service must be freely
> interconnected with POTS service by telcos, even though the FCC doesn't
> classify VoIP as a "telecom *service*":
> http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6420646.html?display=Breaking
> +News .
>
>         Does this affect Asterisk operators (eg. competing with TW)? Any
> previous restrictions now lifted? Continuing restrictions not avoided
> because this decision is TW-specific? Or was TW facing restrictions that
> Asterisk operators haven't faced?

Whether or not it affects asterisk operators (or any other voip operator at
large) depends on the exact nature of the ruling.  I havent read it, so I
cant comment, but I can comment on the SBCIS ruling where SBC Internet
Services got the ability to go direct to NANPA (note SBCIS is not a
certified carrier, they just happen to share a name with a certified
carrier).  This was a one-off exemption just for them, so if you want one
you have to go get one yourself.

It could be that the TW case is the same way, where its specific to them.
There is a senate bill (already passed the house with a 3:1 margin) that
mandates that non-certified voip providers get to interconnect with all the
same rights and privileges as a certified carrier, but the FCC is
specifically the only one that can pass regulations for them and other
stuff, basically if you are certified as a LEC the PUC can control you, if
you are non-certified VoIP this bill makes it so only the FCC can do
something.  Potential 10th amendment challenge there, but it also hasnt
passed yet.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!