[asterisk-biz] International three-way calling latency issue

Henry L.Coleman asterisk at voip-pbx.ca
Fri Jul 27 07:59:59 CDT 2007

Hi Henry, I noticed this problem when calling Bell 611.
I'm not sure how you would fix it but SIP re-invite would seem to be an
option if the call is being terminated by * in the US, answered in India
conferenced in the US and finally the extension that set up the call drops
out.

< Henry J. Cobb>
> Our agents work as part of our client's company.
>
> This means that they can only work when they have a live connection to the
> client applications (VPN or SSL secured) and that the calls that they
> place
> and receive must be considered in the context of the client's operations.
>
> So on any call, our agents may suddenly encounter a situation that is best
> dealt with by transferring both the call and the data context to an agent
> of our client's who works in a different department.
>
> Once our agent has briefed the client agent on the call and introduced the
> two parties our agent leaves the customer connected to the client agent
> and
> moves on to the next call.
>
> We could do this with a server in India, except that we would be tying
> together two calls to the United States from India and this would have a
> double latency effect that would make these calls impossible.
>
> So instead we have our agents connect to our hosted server in the United
> States that then uses USA telephone companies to connect to both customers
> and client agents.  Once our agent leaves a call, all international
> latency
> issues are removed from the call.
>
> We would like to find an Indian service provider who had a relationship
> with an American telephone company and so could provide us with three-way
> calling that did not pile on double international latency on each bridged
> call, but we have yet to find any.
>
> -HJC

Henry L. Coleman.