[asterisk-biz] International three-way calling latency issue

Henry J. Cobb hcobb at io.com
Fri Jul 27 07:14:43 CDT 2007

Our agents work as part of our client's company.

This means that they can only work when they have a live connection to the
client applications (VPN or SSL secured) and that the calls that they place
and receive must be considered in the context of the client's operations.

So on any call, our agents may suddenly encounter a situation that is best
dealt with by transferring both the call and the data context to an agent
of our client's who works in a different department.

Once our agent has briefed the client agent on the call and introduced the
two parties our agent leaves the customer connected to the client agent and
moves on to the next call.

We could do this with a server in India, except that we would be tying
together two calls to the United States from India and this would have a
double latency effect that would make these calls impossible.

So instead we have our agents connect to our hosted server in the United
States that then uses USA telephone companies to connect to both customers
and client agents.  Once our agent leaves a call, all international latency
issues are removed from the call.

We would like to find an Indian service provider who had a relationship
with an American telephone company and so could provide us with three-way
calling that did not pile on double international latency on each bridged
call, but we have yet to find any.

-HJC