[asterisk-biz] New E911 Bill Will Try to become Law

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jan 31 19:33:07 MST 2007

On 2/1/07, Michael Young <myoung at netlogic.net> wrote:

> Actually, I think you missed the main point: "The Clinton-Snowe-Nelson
> bill will allow VoIP companies to patch into the 911 networks operated
> by the traditional phone companies."
>
> According to the VON Coalition, the legislation will give VoIP companies
> direct access to E911 networks within 120 days, and provides equivalent
> liability protection for VoIP providers as other phone services have.
>
> That, my friends, is a big deal.

Note this is a 2005 thing, and covers the aspects you mentioned.  It may be
that its the same bill, I dont have time to read all the links, but here is
what I found in a few seconds.  Now that its 2007, the primaries are
starting it comes out about effectively the same thing.

If however you are to connect ot the PSAPs directly and not over VoIP does
that mean physical circuits?  Most telcos have to have a T1 or so just for
e911 that goes to the PSAP which can be a substantial cost for smaller VoIP
providers that dont have the ability to have physical infrastructure (ie
national coverage) but want to provide national service.  If you have the
'same rules' as those providers you have to have that physical
interconnection, although the current regime of leasing someone elses
network is probably allowed. There is however a voIP based spec, I dont know
the status of that, or how long its going to take to actually implement.

If these are the same it doesnt make VoIP companies equal to all telcos only
CMRS providers (mobile phone companies) so in instances like California
(where 12% of the pouplation is) you may end up routing to the highway
patrol, who may be totally unable to assist you in any reasonable amount of
time because you are in a very rural area and really should have talked to
the sheriff.  Having lived in a rural area in california where it can take
20 minutes for the helicopter to arrive in an emergency (the amublance takes
10-15 minutes longer and usually follows) the delay added by going to CHP
first may not be the godsend its proclaimed.

Many times when calling to report a fire on the side of the road (ya know
where all those fires in california burn thousands of acres and destroy
millions of dollars worth or property ...) its taken 15 minutes to get hold
of CHP on a cell phone.  Those fires happen a lot and the fire departments
in many rural areas in CA are volunteer anyway, so no one is at the
firestation.

http://www.nena.org/VoIP_IP/   (nena is the national '911' organization)

* Senate Commerce Committee Approves the IP-Enabled Voice Communications and
Public Safety Act of 2005*

* On Wednesday, November 2, the Senate Commerce Committee approved S 1063,
the "IP-Enabled Voice Communications and Public Safety Act of 2005" which
now awaits action by the full Senate.  Following the lead of the recent FCC
Order, the legislation requires VoIP providers to offer E9-1-1 to their
customers.  Click here <http://www.nena.org/govtaffairs/s1063rs.pdf>for a
copy of the bill. Key provisions include the following:
 *

 ·         Provides states with the authority to enforce the FCC's rules in
this area and collect fees from VoIP providers

 ·         Provides liability protection for PSAPs, VoIP providers and users
of VoIP services

 ·         Ensures that VoIP providers have access to E9-1-1 components and
are treated in the same manner as wireless providers in seeking access to
9-1-1 components

 ·         Requires National 9-1-1 Implementation and Coordination Office to
submit a plan to Congress on the migration towards an IP-Enabled 9-1-1
system

 ·         Provides explicit authority to FCC to set regulations concerning
E9-1-1 for IP-enabled services

 ·         Does not allow service cut-off to existing customers through
12/31/2005 as long as they have notified and received acknowledgement from
those customers on service limitation, but requires VoIP providers to report
on their progress to provide E9-1-1 to these customers

 ·         Allows FCC to grant waivers to VoIP providers who have provided
notice and received acknowledgement from customers and who can demonstrate
that it is not "technically or operationally feasible" to comply with FCC
requirements in the given time frame.  Granting of the waiver is not
mandatory and is at the discretion of the FCC

 ·         Prevents VoIP Providers, after 12/31/2005, from offering service
to customers in areas where such providers cannot offer 9-1-1 or E9-1-1

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!