[asterisk-biz] CDMA Gateways

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Sat Jan 13 10:47:26 MST 2007

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:49:39AM -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On Saturday 13 January 2007 8:39 am, Junaid Saeed Uppal wrote:
> > I need a cdma gateway ( 16 - 32 ports ) , should be worldwide usable ,
> > Can anyone please recommend me some product that is stable and high
> > quality? If you can offer me a product , kindly contact me offlist.
> No, do not contact offlist.  I'd love to find something similar, although I'm
> in Canada.
> In Canada at least, to find a MiniBTS or nanoBTS you're looking at licensing
> fees and other regulatory stuff, since you're interfering with people's cell
> phone service.  I think though, that with some creative programming, you
> could configure the gateway to not allow ESNs from unknown cell phones.

A gateway is different from a BTS.

It generally has X number of SIMs inside and X number of cellular phones
with some interface to the outside world.

Dimension DAta make a UK version, but it comes out of SA, so it's likely
to be GSM, they may well make a CDMA variant too. It has PRI's into the
unit.

Gateways may also come under licensing constraints, in the UK they are
legal for use by yourself, but you are NOT allowed to offer service
through one to 3rd parties.

Running any kind of BTS requires the full GSM infrastructure behind it,
the BTS just handles the radio part mainly.

It's also not about restricting users, you're using frequencies that the
MNOs have licensed.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com