[asterisk-biz] Fascinating conversation with a prospective customer

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jan 7 07:34:21 MST 2007

On 1/7/07, Tim Panton <thp at westhawk.co.uk> wrote:

> This is always a tricky balance for folks.
> What we have done in the past is to offer to delay the
> release of customer specific modifications
> to the opensource tree.  In one case
> we delayed it by 6 months to allow the customer
> to extract the bulk of the commercial benefit .
>
> Before anyone howls that this is in breach of the GPL,
> it wasn't because a) the software was under a BSD license
>         b) westhawk is the license holder.
> (It wasn't asterisk :-) )
>
> I imagine however you could probably strike such a deal
> with Digium too.

you also dont have to give back to the tree with the gpl.  The gpl only
states that you have to make the code available to anyone you distribute
binaries to, and that you have to license your code under the gpl.  Its all
based on who you distribute to, not the fact that you created it.  With the
GPL you can delay as long as you want to give back to the tree, however you
cant enforce that on anyone you gave code to - they would be free to give it
up sooner.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!